NMBI Nurse Registration - Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland Pin
Posted on Friday, August 4, 2017 by Nurse Bank — No comments
All nurses and midwives who practise in Ireland must by law be listed on the Register of Nurses and Midwives which is maintained by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). Currently around 65,000 nurses and midwives who are practicing in Ireland are included on the Register.
The NMBI provides a range of registration services which are detailed in this section of the website. They include:
- Collecting and processing the Annual Retention Fee which is paid by all registered nurses and midwives to ensure that they retain their registration.
- Processing of applications from nurses and midwives who trained overseas and who want to practice in Ireland.
- Providing a range of registration services, such as applications to join different divisions or to become a postgraduate candidate or to approve Advanced Practice positions.
Ensuring that student nurses and midwives are listed on our Candidate Register.
Before you commence the application process, please:
- Read the Guide for Overseas Applicants
- Identify which Application Group (1, 2 or 3) applies to you
- Understand NMBI’s five-step application process
Applying for registration in a division
To apply for registration in a division of the Register you must be educated and trained in that division. For example, if you trained as a general nurse and want to register as a general nurse with NMBI, you are eligible to apply to Register.
However, if you trained as a general nurse only and have gained considerable experience working as a children’s nurse in another country, you will not be eligible to register as a children’s nurse with NMBI. You would need to have completed an appropriate education and training programme as a children’s nurse before NMBI can consider your application for registration in this division.
If you want to apply for registration in a specific division of the Register, and your training for that division was completed after your initial training as a nurse or midwife, there are some specific registration requirements. For example, NMBI will need to consider your initial registration as a general nurse or midwife first before we consider an application for registration in that division. This will happen at Step 4 in the process, when your application is being assessed.
Before you start the application process, you first need to identify your Application Group.
This will determine:
- The type and nature of the documents we will require from you
- Whether or not your application will require a full education assessment
- The nature of the registration process within NMBI
To help you identify which Application Group applies to you, check the reference table below and visit individual pages on each of the groups.
|Which of the following best describes you?
I trained as a general nurse or midwife
in the European Union (EU) or European
Economic Area (EEA)
I meet the automatic recognition or
acquired right provisions of the Directive
|I trained as a general nurse or
midwife in the EU or EEA
I am seeking recognition under the
“general system” provision of the Directive
|I trained in the EU or EEA in a division
other than general nursing or midwifery
|I trained outside the EU or EEA
If you require further advice on registering with the NMBI, register with Nurse Bank to avail of our free advice service, email email@example.com or call us on +353 1 6991555.