Irish Visa & Work Permits for Nurses - What you need to work in Ireland

Posted on Friday, August 4, 2017 by Nurse BankNo comments

Working in Ireland can be a very rewarding experience. However for first time Nurses arriving in Ireland, it is best to be aware of the Irish Visa and Work Permit requirements before travelling.

Visas/Work Permits
Citizens of certain countries need a visa in order to come to Ireland. You may apply for an Irish visa at your nearest Irish Embassy or consulate. A visa does not confer any right to live or work in Ireland.

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens:

If you are from an EU member state or one of the countries (except for Bulgaria and Romania) of the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to come to work in Ireland. You do not need an employment permit. You are entitled to have you have your dependents come to live with you. If you are a spouse or civil partner of an EEA/Swiss national who is exercising the right to free movement, then you have similar rights to work and live in Ireland. There is also a system of mutual recognition of qualifications between the EEA countries.

Other countries:
If you are from another country then generally you need an employment permit. There are four different types of employment permit:

  • Green Card permit,
  • Work permit,
  • Intra-company transfer permit,
  • Spousal/dependent work permit.

For more information regarding Visa and Work Permit requirements in Ireland, please visit the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website, or email us your query at

Click here for Irish Nursing Registration information

Previous PostNext Post

No comments on "Irish Visa & Work Permits for Nurses - What you need to work in Ireland"